Are you using Composer of the Month in your elementary music classroom? Do you need listening lessons, worksheets, bulletin boards, and more? This composer of the month set celebrates Duke Ellington, and includes materials for one month, for Black History Month, or can be used throughout the year!
Save time by purchasing this set…simply print out the materials for the bulletin board display, plan out your lessons to learn about Duke Ellington's life and music, and implement the fun and engaging ideas and activities into your K-5 lessons!
This composer of the month set includes:
- Listening lesson slideshow for “Caravan,” to practice whole note and tie
- Listening lesson slideshow for “It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing),” to practice whole note and pick-up
- “Be a composer like Ellington” worksheet, including worksheets for ta and ti-ti, quarter rest, tika-tika, half note, ti-tika, tika-ti, syncopa, and tim-ka. Comes in color and black/white.
- Movement activity to Ellington's “It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing),” including 25 color printable sheets with clip art of Ellington with movement directions on each, and link to Google Slides with embedded video
- Listening worksheet: Can be used with Ellington piece of your choice, comes in color and black/white
- Slideshow about Ellington's life, with student-friendly details
- Gallery Walk Visuals and Worksheet: Includes visuals that can printed out for gallery walk, gallery walk worksheet, and directions. Students either work individually or in small groups to answer questions around the room. This is a great way to get students thinking critically about Ellington, his life, and music in general!
- Crossword Puzzle: Puzzle includes 7 clues about Ellington's life and music. Includes key.
- Composer of the month bulletin board display, including letters for “Composer of the month,” Picture of Ellington, World map pointing to the U.S., Visuals for Ellington's most well-known works, Two quotes by Ellington, and Composer/ Conductor/ Musician Visuals with definitions)
- Follow Me: Has students keeping the beat in different ways to Ellington's “Take the A Train”
- Did You Know Cards: Includes 8 different interesting facts about Ellington. These can be used during music lessons and/or read on morning announcements during the month Ellington is being studied
- Directions for the set
Download the preview for more information.
Please note: some of the activities require recordings, which I couldn't include because of copyright.
Visit my blog [https://mrsmiraclesmusicroom.com/blog] to get tips & tricks for integrating listening lessons, technology, centers and other FUN activities into your music classroom!
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.