Highlights of the Episode
- 3:52: Definition of Exceptional Learners
- 6:20: Teaching Exceptional Learners
- 14:00: Obstacles Teachers Face
- 15:34: Suggestions for Teaching Exceptional Students
- 19:56: Resources for Teachers
Links mentioned in the episode
- “Creative Miracles: A Practitioner's Guide to Adaptive Music Instruction” by Kelly Surette (affiliate link)
- “Music in Special Education” by Mary Adamek and Alice-Ann Darrow
- 5 Ways to Better Serve Students with Disabilities in the Classroom – FREE guide – thatmusicteacher.com/disabilities
Bryson Tarbet is a PreK-6th grade general music teacher just outside of Columbus, Ohio. He received his Bachelor’s of Music in Music Education from Ohio Wesleyan University and is currently in the process of completing Master’s of Music in Music Education with a Kodály emphasis at Capital University.
Bryson spent his first year out of college as part of an elementary school intervention team and he fell in love with working with students with exceptional needs. Due to this experience, Bryson feels very strongly about advocating for sensory and emotionally-inclusive classrooms.
Bryson started That Music Teacher with the goal of sharing different perspectives on issues pertaining to the lives of music educators across the country. He also hosts That Music Podcast, a podcast for elementary music teachers.